Level II Mechanic (Tractor & Trailer)
The primary purpose of this position is responsible for the daily assigned mechanical work for a Level II Mechanic on American Central Transport’s fleet of tractors and trailers. Within the Mechanic Level II job, there are three additional levels; A, B and C. Progression to the next level is based off of acquired skills and competency around the needed work procedures.
- All Level I Skills:
- Trailer electrical diagnosis & repair
- Use cutting torch and minor welding
- Brake certification
- Install temporary trailer patch
- Replace trailer air lines
- Replace shocks
- Adjust air ride height
- Adjust brakes, replace lining, drums, and cams
- Computer skills required for the role
- Replace mud flaps and hangers
- Replace, mount and dismount tires
- DOT inspection and certification
- Basic Arc or MIG welding
- Repair or replace anything on the brake system
- Clutch, transmission, & differential replacement
- Read fault codes
- Perform alternator output test
- Repair or replace external engine parts
- Repair or replace anything in the cab system
- Repair or replace anything in the cooling system
- Heater diagnosis & component replacement
- 5th wheel adjustment, repair and overhaul
- Complete quality tractor & trailer PM checklist
- Steering system component replacement
- Follow & comply to set repair procedures
Knowledge & Skills:
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Great organizational skills.
- Prioritize and multitask.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- Comfortable with Microsoft Office Programs and the Internet.
- Maintain strict confidentiality.
- Class A Tech School, preferred.
Back to Articles